Job Title: Deputy Managing Director, General Practice
Reports to: Managing Director, General Practice
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared Date: August 2021
Project Evident exists to help organizations harness the power of evidence to achieve greater impact. We do this by offering a comprehensive platform of tools, resources, and services to help state education agencies, local education agencies, nonprofits and funders improve how they measure, evaluate, and report results, while strengthening their ability to act using this evidence.
Project Evident strives to be a trusted partner – to practitioners, funders, and other stakeholders committed to stronger, meaningful, and equitable outcomes for communities and individuals so that all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. ( Language drawn from PolicyLink’s definition of equity with their permission.)We believe in the power of data and evidence to address social and racial justice, and seek to advance a next generation ecosystem for actionable evidence building and use. We lean into our mission through our values, specifically:
● Practitioner Focused – We center on practitioners and ground our work in their needs and contexts. We help practitioners strengthen meaningful and equitable outcomes for the communities and individuals they serve and lift up their work so it can be better understood and supported by funders and policy makers.
● Committed to Learning, Inclusion, and Transparency – We are frank, honest, and compassionate with our colleagues, clients, funders, and stakeholders. We seek input and feedback from a wide range of voices and share our learnings openly with others. We recognize that evidence is not immune from the racism and inequities that exist in our society and strive to understand the context in which we operate and to uphold the principles of belonging, dignity, and justice through our work.
● Smart, Warm, Approachable and Productive –
- ○ Smart – we strive to find practical, implementable solutions.
- ○ Warm – we bring an attitude of heart and positivity and work through discomfort.
- ○ Approachable – we keep open and curious minds, welcoming differing viewpoints and valuing the ideas and experiences of our partners.
- ○ Productive – we hold ourselves accountable to the goals and timelines we set with our colleagues and partners, and course correct as needed.
● Oriented to Actionable Evidence – We work with partners to build and use relevant and timely data and evidence to continuously learn, improve, and make meaningful, equitable, and cost-effective decisions both for ourselves and partnering organizations.
Position Summary – Deputy Managing Director
Reporting to the Managing Director (MD), the Deputy Managing Director (DMD) role is instrumental in ensuring the sustainable growth and impact of the General Practice and for Project Evident overall. A DMD is passionate about building a healthy team and delivering high impact projects for nonprofits, philanthropies and local government. In addition, a DMD works closely with the Managing Director to ensure that the General Practice achieves its business objectives and creates an environment that promotes staff commitment to the achievement of the organizational vision, mission, and strategy.
A DMD also has overarching responsibility for business development, operations, improvement of the practice, and will lead engagement delivery for a portfolio of clients. A DMD is also responsible for ensuring the provision of credible research information to support program design, tool development, implementation, monitoring, and communications. In this capacity she/he/they can step in for the Managing Director as needed and are responsible for the overall health and sustainability of the direct services vertical with a focus on leading high impact client engagements, advancing business development to achieve financial targets, developing talent and supervising staff and contributing to data collection, content development and learning to support effective knowledge management, field building and communications across Project Evident.
As a leader in the organization, the DMD will be expected to uphold and deepen PE culture and values including principles of belonging, dignity and justice. She/he/they will contribute to a healthy context for team development so that all members are well supported and performing well. She/he/they will help advance PE as a trusted partner in equitable and impactful evidence-building efforts and will make valuable contributions to field building and thought leadership. As such she/he/they will promote a unified culture overall.
The DMD role will interface predominantly with direct services staff to ensure delivery of effective engagements as well as other team members to ensure integration with PE-wide operations and policy and fielding building efforts. This role may interface with Project Evident Board members, investors and other key external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in a consulting, nonprofit, education/government agency policy or research environment with proven business development, supervision and consulting experience and P&L responsibility; a track record in collaborative business development, helping to ensure the business development operations enable effective and sustainable project delivery; experience managing, developing and coaching staff at all levels in a high performance culture; and committed to actionable and equitable evidence building principles and a passion for practitioner centric data and evaluation practice.
The core responsibilities of this position include:
Business Development Operations (20%)
● Lead collaborative business development effort and manage operations to put forward projects with scopes are effectively written, teams are well staffed with appropriate expertise and diversity and that allocations are well managed to meet delivery and learning objectives.
● Focus on specific domains for business development, as appropriate based on skills, background, and strategy. Test demand, and build plans for business growth in specific domains.
● Track pipeline and win/loss rates, following up to learn and making improvements when bids are unsuccessful.
● Monitor field developments to strengthen Project Evident positioning.
● Generate new leads, build pipeline, and close deals to meet revenue targets.
● Advance Business Development goals and generate new pipeline and revenue opportunities to promote organizational and vertical sustainability.
● Generate market insights to inform business development priorities.
● Develop and inform winning proposals, grants and RFPs to secure new opportunities.
● Manage and contribute to content development, R&D and knowledge management efforts to advance client work and internal learning and generate new ideas that practitioners and funders can use to build actionable evidence.
● Contribute to case studies, presentations and other field building and communication priorities.
● Stay current and engaged in the fields of data, evidence & policy to ensure knowledge of key trends, best practices, innovation, and access to high quality evaluation resources.
Engagement Delivery (60%)
● Scope projects such that they can be delivered on time and on budget.
● Lead engagements and deliver impactful technical assistance and evidence strategy utilizing effective project management capabilities to ensure that projects are well delivered.
● Provide subject matter expertise, coaching and advisement across direct services teams on data analysis, evaluation methods, project management and strategic recommendations.
● Build new products as required to meet client needs. This may include building new domain-specific products aligned with strategy.
● Test and refine processes and procedures for efficiency.
General Management / Leadership (20%)
● Contribute to general management and build internal culture to ensure the team is effective and efficient in line with values and leadership expectations.
● Successfully manage staff, client and contractor relationships and provide excellent supervision and coaching to direct reports and across the team.
● As a senior leader, serve on the Project Evident management team to advance the culture, goals and strategy of the organization.
● Represent Project Evident at major events/venues on evidence building and/or evaluation.
● Coordinate with other DMDs on shared culture objectives, such as building a mentoring model for staff, trainings, and knowledge and thought leadership.
● Make recommendations for membership on the National Evaluation Advisory Board.
● Active use of Salesforce, internal tech stack and external data sources to make decisions, generate reports and promote internal data informed culture.
● Help build the bank of talent for both staff and shared services partners.
● Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
● Master’s degree or equivalent experience required.
● Demonstrated experience in a consulting, nonprofit, education/government agency policy or research environment with proven business development, supervision and consulting experience and P&L responsibility.
● Strong track record in collaborative business development, helping to ensure the business development operations enable effective and sustainable project delivery.
● Experience developing new products and tools to meet client requirements.
● Experience managing, developing and coaching staff at all levels in a high performance culture.
● Strong command of survey tools and design and databases including Salesforce.
● Experience using common cloud-based productivity tools, e.g., Google Docs, Office 365, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Slack, Google Docs, Microsoft Office programs specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and strong command of staffing, budgeting and project management practices.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
● Excellent business development operations ability with strong track record assembling teams to meet client, budget and impact needs.
● Deep knowledge of the social sector and ability to track trends.
● Commitment to actionable and equitable evidence building principles and track record of practitioner centric data and evaluation practice.
● Excellent project, client and process management skills, with proven ability to lead teams, manage allocations and deliver high quality consulting engagements on time and on budget.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to write clear and concise reports and memos, generate accurate, quantitative, visual reports, and develop quick and quality presentations.
● Strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to communicate clearly to promote positive action.
● Efficient researcher, comfortable with secondary resources and able to synthesize and analyze material at pace.
● Excellent facilitation skills and ability to lead engagement and project teams.
● Comfort with ambiguity and ability to adjust, adapt and respond to rapidly changing priorities, comfortable in an early stage, client serving environment with fast deadlines.
● Problem solver, active listener who seeks clarification, asks questions, and surfaces solutions.
● Commitment to high performance culture, participate in giving and receiving feedback and belief in continuous and self-improvement.
● Strong learning orientation – the ability to learn and grow from mistakes and help others do the same.
● Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders who may have evolving priorities.
● Superior organizational skills, commitment to high-quality work product, and attention to detail.
● Ability to interface with diverse staff and partners in various domains, contributing to a culture of belonging, dignity and justice.
● Unwavering commitment to service and customer orientation.
● High level of maturity, empathy, and grace under pressure.
Reports to the Managing Director and supervises directors and analysts. Works collaboratively with clients, contractors, staff, board members, investors and other stakeholders on a regular basis to meet goals in line with organizational values.
● Ability to sit, talk and listen continuously for up to 8 hours per day.
● Requires fine motor skills, such as typing for up to 4 hours continuously.
● Ability to work with a virtual team.
● Expected travel to meet client needs when virtual is not optimal.
● Expected to work 40-50 hours per week.
● Location is flexible although New York is preferred.
Submission and Interview Process
Candidates wishing to be considered for this position, must submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that applicants with qualifying disabilities may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Project Evident, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.