POSITION SUMMARY: The M&E Technical Officer Supports two separate SCOPE (Strengthening Community Health Outcomes through Positive Engagement) projects funded through USAID’s New Partnership Initiative. SCOPE RMNCH aims to address key drivers of child and maternal morbidity and mortality at the community level in four priority countries (Haiti, Kenya, Malawi, and South Sudan) to contribute to preventable child and maternal deaths. SCOPE is motivated by a vision of self-reliant countries equipped with technical capacity and tools at the lowest levels of the health system to reduce preventable maternal, newborn, and child deaths. SCOPE HIV project which seeks to address gaps in HIV care and treatment in order to achieve 95-95-95 goals by increasing HIV education, case finding, referral, and the return to care, and by raising awareness and justice for children by engaging faith communities, men and youth, and girls and young women at the grassroot level.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Utilize knowledge of design for survey questionnaires (especially using ODK and other software), sampling strategies, data entry tools, training enumerators, and implementation of surveys/qualitative questionnaires to assist the SCOPE field teams with design and implementation of the MEL strategy.
- Contribute to the design, adaptation and utilization of data management tools, structures of the databases, and user experience and user interface.
- Draw from experience with data cleaning, database management, and valid data entry to review an ensure quality of data in the SCOPE projects.
- Assist the Malawi-based MEL staff with the creation of reports, utilizing graphics and standardized branding, and contributing to data analysis plans.
- Under the direction of the MEL Advisor and Senior Technical Advisor, SCOPE HIV, contribute to the design of and utilize the data management tools, structures of the databases, and user experience and user interface.
- Develop SOPs for data collection, data management, and data security, in collaboration with the MEL Advisor and Senior Technical Advisor, SCOPE HIV.
- Contribute to the Information Management strategy for the SCOPE projects.
- Contribute to ongoing analysis of the data management system gaps or needs.
- Contribute to giving and receiving feedback from all levels (beneficiaries, users, management, etc.) on the data management systems and data produced by the system.
- Provide training and support to colleagues on the technology utilized for data collection and management. Work with MEL Advisor to identify skill gaps and build capacity among project team through in country and virtual trainings.
- Contribute to the writing and review of technical articles and project documents as well as technical review of monitoring data.
- Support data analysis using R statistical package and excel
- Consolidate monitoring and evaluation data from different countries for regular reports that meet donor requirements
- Assist with the development and maintenance of data dashboards for data visualization using PowerBI
- Support routine activities for both SCOPE projects:
- Support processes for routine data quality assessments
- Assist field staff to prepare and present findings at learning summits and conferences
- Assist with recruitment of qualified consultants for evaluation activities as needed through development of SOWs and review of proposals.
- Assist with development and implementation of research protocols for learning agenda
- Support all project reviews and evaluation activities, including assistance with coordinating annual and final evaluations, and supporting donor and external reviews.
- Maintain knowledge of recent advances in the M&E and community health sectors to foster utilization of best practices
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Education and work experience:
- Bachelors or master’s degree in statistics, demographics, public policy, international development, public health, or a related field. Master’s or bachelor’s degree plus an advanced certificate in M&E or statistics preferred.
- 2 years of professional experience in an M&E position supporting the design, implementation, and operation of M&E systems for an international development project.
- Experience with USAID or another publicly funded project preferred.
- Experience working in international development in technical assistance type roles preferred.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of programming languages.
- Experience and knowledge of mapping software such as ARC GIS, QGIS, etc.
- Experience and knowledge using ODK is required, experience with CommCare, or other similar tools a plus.
- Experience and knowledge utilizing R required, experience with other statistical analysis software, such as EpiInfo, STATA, SPSS, ENA, MySQL etc.
- Experience with utilizing PowerBI or other similar software for data visualization
- Experience with qualitative data analysis tools, paper-based, or software such as NVIVO.
- Experience developing and refining data collection tools, including using Open Data Kit for mobile data collection
- Familiarity with USAID’s Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation approach and other M&E and reporting guidelines especially related to Global Health programming.
- Experience supporting data quality assessments.
- Experience supporting and providing ongoing training to field staff on M&E.
- Mature and personal Christian faith
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Ability to establish strong relationships cross-culturally.
- Ability and willingness to travel to program countries for up to 25% of the time, including fragile environments.
- Excellent written and oral English skills required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
- The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
- The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
- General office setting.
- Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in skype meetings may be required.
- Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
- Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
- Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
Benefits Offered to US Employees working 25 or more hours per week:
World Relief contributes to monthly premiums:
- FSA Medical & Dependent Care
- Commuter Funding
- Supplemental Life Insurance (employee, spouse, and children)
World Relief pays 100% for eligible employees:
- Group Term Life (employee, spouse, and children)
- Long term disability
- Short-term disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Travel Insurance
World Relief – Retirement:
- 401K & Roth through Fidelity
- WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
- Eligibility: Full Time is eligible after 3 months of employment. Part time is eligible after 1000 hours in a year
- Automatically enrolled at 4%
World Relief offers Discounts (Immediately Eligible)
- Pet Insurance
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
For World Relief staff, strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment, based upon United States federal guidelines provided in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Legal Background in the United States
World Relief is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. This means that we conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, parental status, membership in any labor organization, political ideology, or disability of an otherwise qualified individual. The status of World Relief as an equal opportunity employer does not prevent the organization from hiring staff based on their religious beliefs, so that all staff share the same religious commitment.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a) World Relief has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with World Relief’s Statement of Faith.