After twenty years of successful programming, IJM has a strong portfolio of innovative and impactful justice reform programs that protect people from violence. As IJM continues to grow, it is seeking a senior monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) leader to strengthen the evidence base in and improve the quality of its portfolio. This person will be a proficient collaborator across teams, will have excellent technical skills, and will serve as IJM’s foremost MEL leader on its global team.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC metro area and reports to the Global Vice President, Program Quality & Measurement. Position is classified in IJM as a ‘Senior Specialist’.
1. Embed MEL standards, guidance, and processes: Develop, launch, mainstream, and ensure the relevance and value of global MEL standards, guidance, and processes in all IJM programs.
2. Ensure quality improvement: Develop, launch, mainstream, and ensure the relevance and value of mechanisms to assess and improve the quality of MEL work in prioritized IJM programs.
3. Oversee standardized indicators development: Finalize and ensure successful implementation of a set of standardized program indicators. Develop a feasible plan with Global and regional colleagues to collect, analyze, report, and share standardized indicator data.
4. Provide technical leadership: Provide technical leadership to prioritized MEL and other data- and learning-related projects and initiatives.
5. Develop the global MEL team: Develop feasible initiatives to support the professional development of the global MEL team. Support regions and programs to hire, retain, and use professional MEL staff effectively.
6. Lead MEL activation: Engage in and, where necessary, develop activation opportunities to disseminate IJM’s MEL work, insights, and results. Increase key stakeholders’ confidence in IJM as a leader in the justice reform space.
1. Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience, including 5 years in frontline programs
2. Proven ability to lead technical MEL work to success
3. Proven strategic thinker, with ability to influence organizational culture, policy, and strategy
4. Proven ability to work collaboratively with executive, technical, and non-technical staff
5. Graduate degree in any discipline
6. Expertise in program design, monitoring plan development, indicator design, tool development, data collection, data analysis, data validation, and data quality control
7. Expertise in the design, scoping, staffing, management, execution, and successful delivery of technical consultancy services
8. Expertise in the design, creation, and promotion of products (e.g., technical reports and presentations)
9. Expertise in capacity building of technical staff
10. Exceptional collaborator with diverse teams—including technical and non-technical staff
11. Exceptional negotiation, problem-solving, and stakeholder management skills
12. High credibility with staff and partners
13. Desire and ability to keep up-to-date with emergent technologies and data ethics issues
· Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
· Self-starter with strong initiative;
· Disciplined with priorities;
· Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
· Exceptional verbal and written communication;
· Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
· Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
· Adept at creative problem solving
About International Justice Mission
IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 offices. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.