Humanity United (HU) is seeking a highly self-motivated, creative, adaptable, and organized Associate, who will serve as an integral member of HU’s Strategy, Learning and Impact department. We’re looking to add a new team member who has passion for the field of learning and measurement in human rights or international development.
The successful candidate will bring excellent organizational and project management skills; experience with research and evaluation (particularly emergent and adaptive approaches); the ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources; strong writing and communication skills; a learning mindset; and will be a creative problem solver who can work independently and as part of a team.
This is a full-time, exempt role, reporting to the Director of Strategy, Learning and Impact. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all HU staff are working from home. As our offices reopen, returns will be on an opt-in and gradual basis. During 2021, this role can be based anywhere in the US. From January 2022 onwards, we are open to either a San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC location.
Core Job Responsibilities
Support learning and impact processes for portfolio teams:
- Support research needs both on monitoring, evaluation & learning (MEL) & program specific data & metrics.
- Manage grants administration and provide support for a grantee capacity building fund.
- Support design of improvements to grantee-level data collection process and system.
- Support on survey management, execution & analysis.
- Support functional/operational team learning processes and activities.
Support SL&I team learning, operations and communications
- Draft team’s org-wide newsletter and communications.
- Manage subscriptions (e.g. MURAL & Kumu) and support development of facilitation tools & templates (e.g. Mural UI and foresight materials)
- Maintain a knowledge management platform for SL&I team.
- Support the team’s scheduling, investments and contracting needs.
- Contribute to org-wide Knowledge Management system transition.
- Support the release of strategy practice toolkit editions, including editing and project management with contractor.
- Support team and internal client meetings by reporting out on workstreams and capturing key take-aways.
- Manage timeline of team’s deliverables and approval processes for key projects.
- Help plan and manage logistics for team retreats and brownbag sessions.
- Support team preparation for Board meetings.
Support cross-organizational learning
- Manage planning, implementation, logistics and follow up for HU’s annual org-wide learning meetings.
- Partner with communications team to integrate accurate and compelling data into key communications messages.
- Research new approaches and tools and engage academic and research partners in order to help HU continually learn and benefit from the newest evidence. Attend relevant conferences and bring learnings back to the organization.
- Contribute to developing and implementing strategy, evaluation & learning training for staff.
- Promote a culture of reflection, learning, and data-based decision making.
- Reflect HU’s approach to strategy, learning, and impact with the broader Omidyar Group of organizations. Participate in The Omidyar Group’s Learning & Impact practitioner group.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Desired knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Commitment to HU’s mission and core values (including Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice).
- Excellent project management skills.
- “Roll up the sleeves” approach, deep sense of curiosity, and a willingness to learn.
- Experience with social impact measurement, with demonstrated experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods, tool design, validation, and data analysis (Bonus if this experience occurred in the human rights, peacebuilding, human trafficking, labor migration, or comparable fields.)
- Grantmaking exposure, ideally with experience in grants administration
- Strong problem-solving skills combined with the ability to adapt in response to opportunities and challenges.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, relationship-building and influencing skills (i.e. ability to listen as well as persuade) to enable effective collaboration across multiple functions and geographies.
- High tolerance for ambiguity, and ability to adapt to changing priorities, strategic frameworks and definitions of success.
- The right to work in the United States
It’s a bonus if you bring:
- Client service attitude
- Direct lived experience of the issues we work on.
- Exposure to systems thinking and complexity science
- Experience working in a distributed team
- Prior work in a non-profit or philanthropic environment
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as needed (10% – 20%), once safe to travel post-COVID.
We encourage applicants lacking formal or direct experience to describe how their background has served as preparation for this role.
Humanity United believes that diversity, equity and inclusion make us more successful in our work, and we are able to grow and learn better together when our team is diverse and representative of the communities we serve. We are actively engaged in a formal DEIJ journey as an organization, and expect that prospective employees are enthusiastic about advancing these goals.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and staff. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran status, color, class, religion, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status and any other characteristics protected by law. We strongly encourage applications from people with historically under-represented identities or who are members of marginalized communities.
HU is proud to offer an inclusive and comprehensive benefits package to accommodate a diversity of needs and life circumstances and to accommodate staff at all life stages with flexible and supportive benefits. In addition to full benefits, this role offers a competitive salary which we are happy to share on request. We will also share with all first-round interview candidates. We will not ask what you are currently earning or for any other details of your salary history. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to fully access our benefits of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation, or describe your needs in your application.
About Humanity United
Humanity United (HU) is a foundation dedicated to cultivating the conditions for enduring freedom and peace. We support and build efforts to transform the systems that contribute to human exploitation and violent conflict. HU is part of The Omidyar Group, a diverse collection of organizations, each guided by its own approach, but united by a common desire to catalyze social impact.
We encourage all candidates to learn about our organizational values on our website.