Job Title: Senior Research Manager
Reports to: Director of Evidence & Learning
Location: Rosslyn, VA
Note: At this time, GFEMS is only able to consider candidates who are legally authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship for an employment visa.
About the Global Fund to End Modern Slavery
The Global Fund to End Modern Slavery (GFEMS) is a bold public-private partnership that seeks to catalyze and coordinate a coherent global strategy to end modern slavery. Our mission is to end modern slavery by making it economically unprofitable.
GFEMS will make grants across sectors and geographies with a focus on three core funding themes: rule of law, business engagement, and sustaining freedom. The Fund’s strategy also includes the development of public-private investments across key industries and innovative approaches to evaluating what works in reducing the prevalence of modern slavery. We invite you to read more about the fund’s strategy and early investment priorities at www.gfems.org.
GFEMS’ approach to research is highly action-oriented and data-driven. The Fund’s research efforts will identify what does and does not work to sustainably reduce the prevalence of modern slavery. These lessons will be shared with the field but also applied internally to inform strategic investments towards prevalence reduction in specific industries / geographies.
As the Senior Research Manager, you will be responsible for providing technical direction and supervisory oversight to the Fund’s research portfolio, including but not limited to prevalence estimation studies and quasi-experimental evaluations examining Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices (KAP). In coordination with the Director of Evidence and Learning, you will provide technical guidance as well as quality assurance across research design, data collection, analysis, and reporting phases.
The Senior Research Manager will bring experience in social science research with an emphasis on public health and/or global development. This will include experimental and quasi-experimental research design, data analysis planning, quantitative and qualitative analysis, contract management, budgeting, report writing, and knowledge dissemination. The position will also be responsible for coordinating feedback from the Fund’s Research Methods Advisory Panel (RMAP) and establishing an internal Institutional Review Board (IRB) within the Fund. In collaboration and coordination with the Director of Evidence of Learning, the Senior Research Manager will also be responsible for external engagement, serving as a thought leader on research design and methods in the anti-slavery field.
This role will require travel, up to 30% of time.
● Provide project management, supervisory oversight, and technical direction to existing research projects within the Fund’s portfolio, providing remote and on-site technical support as needed
● Lead the design of new research Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Statements of Work (SoWs)
● Monitor burn rate of research partners, helping to troubleshoot when partners encounter challenges
● Lead effort to establish an internal Institutional Review Board (IRB). Serve as Administrator for the board once established.
● Work closely with Evidence & Learning team members to heavily contribute to the Fund’s research and evaluation strategies
● Where sensible/feasible, leverage technology and innovation to improve data collection and information systems
● Where indicated, assist with data visualization tasks for internal and external communications
● Oversee the development of research briefs and presentations in support of the Fund’s dissemination strategy
● Co-author journal publications and present work at relevant conferences
● Represent GFEMS at external events, conferences, and advisory groups
● Other responsibilities and projects as assigned
● Graduate degree in relevant field (social sciences, economics, public health). PhD desirable.
● Minimum of 10 years’ experience in social science research with significant experience in humanitarian or development contexts.
● Academic training and/or practical social science experience in quantitative research/evaluation techniques including Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs) and a suite of quasi-experimental approaches
● Understanding of prevalence estimation of hard-to-reach populations, including methods such as Respondent Driven Sampling (RDS), Network Scale-Up Methods (NSUM), and Time and Location Sampling (TLS).
● Experience in quantitative skills including software and programming such as SPSS, STATA, R or other statistical programs. Experience with qualitative methods also required.
● Relevant global experience; preference given to those with experience and networks in high prevalence regions (e.g., South Asia, South East Asia)
● Must be highly collaborative and a proven relationship-builder
● Efficient multi-tasker and able to coordinate people at all levels of an organization
● Ability to communicate effectively across sectors and stakeholders — between academia, nonprofit implementers, corporate, and government stakeholders
● Demonstrated ability in technical writing
● Proactive, self-starting, and strong attention to detail
Email cover letter and resume in a single PDF to [email protected]. Please title document [firstname lastname] – Sr Research Manager and use subject line Sr Research Manager.
Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Compensation and Benefits
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected initiative. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. GFEMS is prepared to offer a competitive benefits package.
GFEMS provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
GFEMS is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We take all possible measures to ensure that only those that are suitable to work within our values are recruited to work for us.