The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist, Evaluation
Reports to: Evaluation Director, Evaluation
Scope: CIPE is seeking a full-time, exempt position in Washington, D.C. The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will work with the Director of Evaluation as part of a dynamic team to provide monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) technical support for CIPE projects and programs, with particular focus on facilitating systematic M&E data collection and assisting in the development and management of a performance indicator database for CIPE programs. The CIPE Evaluation Department is a growing team that stresses rigor, collaborative learning, adaptation and professional development and growth. In addition to the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) funded projects, CIPE has a growing portfolio of projects funded by U.S. and global donors and is seeking an experienced M&E specialist who can add to CIPE’s evidence-based approach to private-sector led development in projects that address capacity building, good governance, and anti-corruption compliance. In addition to broad experience in MERL, this individual ideally would have expertise with relational databases and database management for monitoring program performance as well as experience in working with program teams using evidence for learning and program improvement (adaptive management). CIPE’s portfolio increasingly encompasses anti-corruption and good governance programming as well as private sector engagement and CIPE encourages candidates who have interest and/or experience in these areas.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage administrative, technical and data management tasks related to the establishment and management of a CIPE indicator database, including one or more pilot uses of this database and appropriate staff training.
- Support CIPE regional teams in creating relevant data visualizations and interactive dashboards for programmatic M&E tracking.
- Perform data security activities for the M&E database, such as storage and backups, testing of data integrity, as well as logical consistency checks.
- Provide technical assistance to CIPE staff in the design of M&E activities, including developing M&E plans; identifying appropriate performance indicators; developing logic models, logical frameworks and/or theories of change.
- Support the management of data collection efforts feeding into research and M&E, including the design of survey and focus group protocols and instruments; implementation of sampling plans, and recruitment and management of external evaluation consultants.
- Provide oversight and technical assistance to regional teams on data management, data analysis, data security and data quality assurance.
- Support the reporting of M&E and research efforts, including establishing internal deadlines for staff; reviewing, providing feedback to staff and editing reports; assessing projects using internal criteria; performing data analysis, and creating relevant data visualizations, and sharing lessons learned.
- Contribute to building a culture of evaluation based upon CIPE evaluation strategies and tools consistent with CIPE’s organizational objectives and strategic plan. This includes:
- Assisting in developing and providing training and technical assistance to staff and partners to build their M&E capacity.
- Assisting in developing or revising M&E tools and guidance.
- Participating in developing, researching, and writing evaluations, research papers, articles, case studies, and other studies on CIPE programs and themes as assigned.
- Establish and maintain relationships with program teams, other donor and international organizations as well as evaluation communities of practice in collaboration with the Director of Evaluation to create linkages with CIPE strategies and to monitor evaluation trends.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a technical M&E capacity, serving international development programs.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up relational M&E databases, troubleshooting databases, and creating interactive dashboards.
- Strong Proficiency in MS Office Suite, at least one statistical analysis program (e.g., R, Stata, SPSS, NVivo and others), at least one data collection/survey program (e.g., Ona and SurveyCTO), at least one dashboard program (e.g. Power BI, Tableau) and experience with one or more digital M&E platforms (e.g., DHIS2; DevResults and/or others).
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking, problem solving and data analysis skills.
- Experience developing data collection tools (e.g., surveys and key informant interviews)
- Excellent written, oral and cross-cultural communication and presentation skills
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to work independently, and as part of a small team
- Ability and willingness to travel, including international, when applicable.
- Master’s degree (or above) in international development, economics, public policy, public administration or related field, including formal training in research methods and program evaluation;
- Program evaluation and research skills using both qualitative and quantitative data, including data and statistical analysis and presentation using charts and graphs;
- Commitment to ethical and professional standards of research and evaluation, including work with potentially vulnerable populations.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience in teaching or training, especially based upon principles of adult professional education;
- Understanding or experience in using Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) or Software as a Service (SaaS) cloud-based approaches and vendors;
- Training and/or advanced experience in leading or working as part of team in the development of a digital electronic platform(s) in the development context;
- Ability to communicate clearly technical information to a nontechnical audience;
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills;
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills;
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to work independently, and as part of a small team.
Benefits and Perks
Competitive Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, paid family leave, life insurance, 401(k), commuter benefits, telework, and more! Employee events including Company Picnic, Health & Wellness Fair, Holiday Party and lots of fun in between!
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.