The Philippines Advancing Basic Education (ABC+) project is a five-year project, funded by USAID and implemented by RTI International. The project is entering its third year in October 2021. There are three intermediate result areas (IRs): (1) Improved Early Grade Instruction and Delivery Systems, (2) Improved Access to Quality Materials, and (3) Improved Education System Capacity and Commitment to Manage and Implement Interventions Supporting Effective Early Grade Instruction. The project is operating in Regions V and VI, with a small presence in BARMM.
The MEL Director will lead the design and implementation of the project’s MEL framework and information systems to track delivery against program targets, outcomes, and impacts, including clearly defined objectives, indicators, learning mechanisms, and the implementation of appropriate MEL procedures. Particularly in these final years of the project, it is critical that the role focuses on using the data collected to inform recommendations or adjustments in the project’s technical approach and ensure continued improvement in education system capacity. Expanding on this, the MEL Director will also lead learning and reflection sessions, working closely with partners and other internal and external stakeholders and in adaptive management processes informed by monitoring, evaluation, research, learning, and adapting. In close collaboration with the ESSA, the MEL Director will lead in contributing to strengthening DepEd data management and MEL systems and channel partners’ support to DepEd in this area as well. The MEL Director will work with the COP, IR leads, and home office STTA to define the learning focus and project research agenda on scale-up and sustainability.
S/he will collaborate with internal units and ABC+ consortium partners in the preparation and timely submission of project performance monitoring plans, including the development and definition of program indicators and sources of data. The MEL Director will facilitate the development of annual work plans, quarterly and annual reports, and other project documents in close collaboration with the other directors, advisors and the DCOPs.
- Ability to build consensus and demonstrated ability to recruit and develop high performing teams.
- Strong leadership skills across various levels of staff and locations.
- Familiarity with international development systems, policies, finances and management in developing countries
- Excellent knowledge of MS SharePoint, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong oral/written communication skills, and ability to lead or support report writing and lead presentations to stakeholders and USAID
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.