The Philippines Advancing Basic Education (ABC+) project is a five-year project, funded by USAID and implemented by RTI International. The project is entering its third year in October 2021. There are three intermediate result areas (IRs): (1) Improved Early Grade Instruction and Delivery Systems, (2) Improved Access to Quality Materials, and (3) Improved Education System Capacity and Commitment to Manage and Implement Interventions Supporting Effective Early Grade Instruction. The project is operating in Regions V and VI, with a small presence in BARMM.
The Deputy Chief of Party – Technical will be responsible supporting the Chief of Party in all technical and management/implementation aspects, serving as the second in command in the absence of the Chief of Party, ensuring proper administration of the project and facilitate technical aspects and project implementation. The DCOP-Technical will oversee IR1:Improved Early Grade Instruction and Delivery Systems and IR2: Improved Access to Quality Materials, as well as the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team. The DCOP-Technical will directly supervise the IR1 lead, IR2 lead, and MEL Director, and will closely collaborate on technical areas with the COP, who is overseeing work in the regions, communications and IR3.
Working with the MEL Director, the DCOP-Technical will be primarily responsible for ensuring the project remains on schedule with the approved annual workplan and overall project milestones and deliverables, as well as life-of-project objectives, in the ABC+ Sustainability Plan. To accomplish these goals, the DCOP-Technical will work with the leads for each IR (collaborating with the IR3 team as needed), overseeing any necessary adjustments due to COVID related school closures and other system shocks design and lead the process of: identifying entry points for influencing DepEd priorities at all levels of the system; developing strategies to ensure DepEd buy-in for ABC+ interventions; planning the rollout of interventions in close collaboration with DepEd (regional and local); and working with DepEd to institutionalize best practices. The DCOP-Technical will support project efforts geared towards strengthening the capacity the education system (central, regional, and local levels) to apply, scale up, and sustain ABC+-introduced solutions for improved early grade learning. S/he will also oversee and guide the work of the subawardee(s) in charge of mobilizing non-DepEd actors of the Philippine education system (Local Government Units, private sector, parents & communities) so that their efforts are aligned with the project’s sustainability goals as well as with DepEd priorities and programs. S/he must be able to liaise effectively with DepEd counterparts, USAID and other key stakeholders.
The DCOP Technical will work in close coordination with the COP and DCOP for Operations and Finance, the Technical Advisors, and the Communications team to ensure collaboration on technical and operational needs so that the planning and resources needed are available to successfully implement activities.
- Supports the COP in all technical and management aspects of the project and serves as second in command in the COP absence, support overall management of the project; assist the Chief of Party in planning and coordinating short-term technical assistance to support the project’s institutional capacity building objectives; ensure quality and consistency of approach for project objectives
- Lead IR teams on activity implementation, directly supervising the IR 1, 2, and MEL leads overseeing their direct reports. Ensure that activities are planned and implemented on schedule, and should adjustments to the schedule be needed, this is communicated to the COP, project management team, and USAID as necessary; ensures roles and responsibilities are clear, staff performance issues are addressed, and that teams have adequate guidance and technical, financial, and logistical support to meet their goals on time and within budget.
- Develop, compile, and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports for relevant ongoing activities. Track and report quarterly on programmatic achievements as required for activity deliverables reporting.
- Support technical leadership for activities focused on strengthening the capacity of the Philippine basic education system—understood as the wide range of stakeholders from DepEd Central and Regional Offices, to schools divisions and districts, Local Government Units, Local School Boards, as well as the private sector and civil society— to improve the delivery of instruction and learning outcomes of foundational skills in K-3.
- Engage with DCOP for Operations and Finance to ensure that technical and operational components move in lockstep, and to minimize risk and deliver results on schedule; develop implementation plans with field operations, technical staff, and government counterparts
- Engage with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director and broader team to ensure appropriate data is being collected about activities. It is critical that the DCOP Technical work with the MEL Director and team to leverage project Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning data to inform adjustments in the project’s technical approach and ensure continued improvement in education system capacity; in collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning team, define the learning focus or research agenda on scale-up and sustainability.
- Engage with the Communications Team to ensure success stories and other internal and external communications about technical activities are prepared and shared as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other technical leads to design and deploy approaches for strengthening institutional capacity and stakeholder engagement that adequately plan for scale-up and sustainability.
- Develops partnerships with client, implementers, subawardees, and stakeholders and fosters collaboration.
- Represent RTI at relevant fora as may be deemed necessary.
- May serve as Acting Chief of Party during Chief of Party’s absence; may act as key liaison with certain project partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Preference for experience in the Philippines, or SE Asia.
- Proven success with leveraging private sector funding a plus, but not required
- Previous experience coordinating efforts of multi- and bi-lateral donors in support of a common objective a plus, but not required
- Strong leadership skills across various levels of staff and locations.
- Familiarity with international development systems, policies, finances and management in developing countries.
- Excellent knowledge of MS SharePoint, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
- Culturally sensitive and respectful.