Table of Contents
Here is an example of what a job description may look like for a Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Database Specialist.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Database Specialist job duties and responsibilities #
- Manage technical and administrative tasks related to the establishment and management of an organization’s web-based M&E platform for managing performance data.
- Oversee and coordinate the pilot uses of this platform and the development of appropriate trainings for staff in headquarter and country offices.
Support the organization’s program teams in programming their M&E frameworks and performance data on the M&E platform and in fully adopting and utilizing the platform.
- Support the MEL team and regional program teams in creating relevant data visualizations and interactive dashboards for programmatic M&E tracking.
- Perform data security activities for the M&E platform, such as storage and backups, testing of data integrity, as well as logical consistency checks.
- Provide technical assistance to the staff in the design of MEL activities, including developing MEL plans; identifying appropriate performance indicators; developing logical frameworks and theories of change.
- Support the design and operationalization of data collection efforts feeding into research and MEL, such as the development of survey and focus group protocols and other data collection instruments, including sampling plans.
- Provide oversight and technical assistance to regional teams on data management, data analysis, data security and data quality assurance.
- Assist in developing and providing training and technical assistance to staff and partners to build their MEL capacity.
- Contribute to the coordination, design, background research, literature reviews, and write-up of evaluations, research papers, and other studies on programs and themes as assigned. This may also include developing evaluation scopes of work and the recruitment and management of external evaluation consultants.
- Establish and maintain relationships with program teams, other donors and international organizations as well as evaluation communities of practice in collaboration with the MEL Director to create linkages with the organization’s strategies and to monitor evaluation trends.
About You #
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or above in international development, economics, public policy, public administration, or related field, including formal training in research methods and evaluation required.
- At least 5 years’ experience with a bachelor’s or 3 years’ experience with a Master’s in a technical MEL capacity, serving international development programs.
- Strong quantitative data skills, including in the design of data collection tools, the management of large M&E databases, and analysis of quantitative data.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up relational M&E databases, troubleshooting databases, and creating interactive dashboards.
- Strong Proficiency in MS Office Suite, at least one statistical analysis program (e.g., R, Stata, SPSS and others), at least one data collection/survey program (e.g., Ona and SurveyCTO), at least one dashboard program (e.g. Power BI, Tableau) and experience with one or more digital M&E platforms (e.g., DHIS2; DevResults and/or others).
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking, problem solving and data analysis skills.
- Experience developing data collection tools (e.g., surveys, focus groups, key informant interviews).
- Excellent written, oral and cross-cultural communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel, including international, when applicable.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Program evaluation and research skills using both qualitative and quantitative data, including data and statistical analysis and presentation using charts and graphs.
- Commitment to ethical and professional standards of research and evaluation, including work with potentially vulnerable populations.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in training, especially based upon principles of adult pedagogical techniques.
- Skills and experience in mapping software such as Arc GIS and working with geographic data.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information to a nontechnical audience.
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to work independently, and as part of a small team.